There are many ways to conserve water outdoors, like following current water restrictions, but conserving water inside your home is equally as important.
Why take water saving steps inside your home?
Well, did you know that bathrooms are the biggest source of wasted water inside the home? Or that many water saving methods can also improve your home’s energy efficiency?
Here are some easy tips to scale down your water consumption and help reduce strain on the water system.
INDOOR WATER USE TIPS
- Take shorter showers
- Turn off the tap when brushing your teeth or shaving
- Use a toilet tank bank device to limit the amount of water that enters the toilet tank and reduce the amount of water used per flush
- Check for toilet leaks by using dye tablets. Dye tablets are available from the City upon request. Call the Water Wise Hotline at 250-203-2316 or email email@example.com.
- Install water-efficient plumbing appliances like low flow toilets or water-efficient showerheads. Check out the Toilet Rebate Program offered by the City.
- Use a flow rate bag to quickly and easily test the flow rate of any showerhead or faucet to find out if your fixtures are water efficient.
- Fill the sink to wash dishes instead of washing and rinsing individually
- Re-use greywater from dishwashing and washing foods to water plants, lawns and gardens
- Install aerators to help maintain a steady water pressure and reduce the flow rate significantly
- Run full loads of laundry and full loads in the dishwasher
- Regularly check for leaks in appliances (dishwashers, washing machines etc.)
- Consider investing in an on-demand hot water system. On-demand systems can significantly reduce hot water use if the main hot water heater is far away from the sink or appliance.
Contact us on our water-wise hotline, to ask questions about water conservation or watershed protection.
Hotline hours are weekdays, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. If you call after hours, please leave a message and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
To get a free dye tablet, tank bank or flow rate bag contact the Water Wise team at 250-203-2316 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Available only while supplies last.