The City regulates the use of City streets, sidewalks and parking lots through permits. Here are some common permits.

Permit Applications

Application for Works on City Lands Infrastructure

If you are doing any construction work that impacts City lands or infrastructure such as a street, sidewalk, boulevard or parking lot, you will need to submit an application for a Works on City Lands and Infrastructure Permit. This also applies for Water System Shutdown and Fire Hydrant use requests.

  • You will be required to submit a copy of your business insurance that names the City of Campbell River as additional insured and has a minimum liability coverage of $3,000,000. The expiry date should be clearly indicated.
  • If you need to do any work within the curb lines, you will need a Road Closure Permit. This applies even if traffic can still flow through the work zone.
  • Depending on the extent of the closure, you may be required to undertake public notification.
  • You will be required to provide a Traffic and/or Pedestrian Management Plan.
  • You are required to provide a copy of your Worksafe Clearance Letter.
  • You may be asked to distribute a “Good Neighbour Letter” to residents and businesses in the area to notify them of the work. The letter must include the date and time of the work, a general description of the work, and a phone number and contact names for any questions.

If you have any questions about the application process for this permit, please call the Development Services Department at 250-286-5725 or email

Culvert Permits

Driveway Permits

Any changes to a driveway may require a permit.

  • For new homes, the Driveway Permit is taken out as part of the Building Permit.
  • For existing homes, if changes to the driveway are desired (new driveway, widen existing driveway etc.) a permit is required.
  • Driveway Permit Application

Oversize Vehicle Permit

  • If you need to transport a vehicle that is overly wide, tall or long, you will need an Oversize Vehicle Permit. See the "Traffic and Highways Regulation Bylaw" for exact regulations.
  • Oversized Vehicle Permit Application

Special Event Permits

  • Any organized public event on a City road, sidewalk or parking lot, such as a run, walk or parade may require a Special Event Permit.
  • In addition, if the event occurs in a City park, you may be required to book it through the City’s Parks, Recreation and Culture Department.  Book Facilities, Fields and Parks.
  • Special Event Application

For additional information about permits, please contact:

City of Campbell River
Development Services Department
Phone: 250-286-5725

What's New
Upcoming Events