Campbell River’s Sportsplex weight room will re-open on Thursday, Jan. 20, and in-person fitness classes will resume on Monday, Jan. 24, with limited access and health and safety measures to reduce the risk of spreading COVID-19.
“We have carefully developed a re-opening strategy that allows our community the opportunity for a safe return to our in-person fitness classes and weight room,” says Meghan Lawley, program supervisor of the City’s Recreation and Culture Department. “People will notice that some previous COVID-19 safety protocols have come back into effect and will be expected to follow procedures established by provincial authorities to help keep our fitness clients and our employees healthy.”
COVID-19 safety protocols in effect include:
- Proof of vaccination is required to attend fitness classes or use the weight room.
- Do not attend if you are sick or displaying signs or symptoms of COVID-19.
- Please maintain a distance of 7 square metres from others exercising; this is a 2.5 by 2.5-metre distance
(or 8 feet by 8 feet).
- Masks are required when not exercising. However, we encourage participants to wear masks even when exercising.
- Wash or sanitize your hands upon entering the building or class.
- Please wash equipment before and after use.
- Late entry will not be permitted for in-person fitness classes.
- Do not arrive more than 10 minutes early for fitness classes or 5 minutes early for weight room bookings.
“Our fitness community is eager to get back to using the weight room again and have sent dozens of emails and messages asking us about opening,” says fitness supervisor Mary Fast. “We are eager to welcome them back to safe weight room spaces and help them get in the work out they have been waiting for.”
The Recreation and Culture Department encourages booking a space in advance to access the weight room or fitness classes to guarantee your spot. View the weight room and fitness schedule and make bookings online at campbellriver.ca/registration.
Contact: Meghan Lawley, Recreation and Culture Program Supervisor 250-923-7911
Full news release