Paid-on-Call Firefighter Recruitment is on now!
The City of Campbell River Fire Department is now accepting applications for the 2023 Paid-on-Call Firefighter Training Program. Join us at the paid-on-call firefighter information session on Thursday, January 12, 2023 at 6:30 p.m. in room 2 at the Sportsplex located at 1800 South Alder St. Please email email@example.com to register.
The information session will provide potential candidates with an overview of:
- the recruitment process
- the paid-on-call firefighter training program
- time commitments and expectations
- the services provided by the Campbell River Fire Department
The deadline to submit an application is 4:00 p.m. on Friday, January 20, 2023.
2023 Paid-on-Call Firefighter Application Package
If you are an NFPA 1001 certified firefighter, and interested in joining our paid-on-call team, please contact the deputy chief of operations Kelly Bellefleur at 250-286-6266, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job Duty Expectations
- Combating, extinguishing and prevention of fires and the saving of life and property
- Respond to fire alarms, lay and connect hose, direct water streams, raise and climb ladders, use portable extinguishers and other firefighter, rescue and safety tools and equipment
- Search for and rescue persons from danger and administer first aid to the injured
- Ventilate premises to release heat and smoke, place salvage covers to prevent water damage
- As assigned, drive and operate motor driven firefighting equipment
- Perform the routine housekeeping and routine maintenance of the fire department equipment and fire stations
- Participate in training, drill and practice sessions
- Participate in rescue and safety, or public service call activities; take responsibility for effective disposition of such emergencies
- Participate in community events and fundraising activities
- At least 18 years of age
- Legally entitled to work in Canada
- Live within the Campbell River city boundary
- Have no criminal record that would prevent you from being a firefighter
- Vision and hearing to NFPA standards
- Hold a valid BC Class 5 driver's licence (or Class 7 if driving less than four years) with less than 7 points in the past three years
- Hold a current first aid certificate of at least seven (7) hours of instruction
- Comfortable being in confined spaces
- Work well under pressure
- Strong team player
- Able to physically perform the duties
- Willing to work in dangerous and unpleasant situations
- Will Conduct yourself with professionalism
- Able to take calculated risks to help others in need
- Able to continue working despite physical discomfort.
Fitness Assessment and Job-related Performance Assessment
The City of Campbell River requires applicants for firefighter positions to undergo a fitness assessment, a job-related performance assessment, and a medical assessment. Please see the application package for more details.