A building permit is required with the commencement or continuation of any construction, alteration, placement, reconstruction, demolition, removal or relocation or change to the occupancy of any building or structure, or other work related construction.
A building permit is needed for:
- New construction of a building;
- Construction of an ancillary building larger than 10 square meters (107 square feet);
- Enlarging windows and/or door sizes;
- Making structural changes (renovations) to the interior or exterior of the building;
- Changing the "footprint" of a building;
- Leasehold improvements;
- Retaining walls over 1.5 meters (5 feet).