SEASONAL FIRE SAFETY

CANDLE CARE

Candles are a traditional and beautiful part of the holiday season. They can also be a source of fire in your home, so be cautious with them. Place candles in sturdy candle holders and ensure they are well away from the Christmas tree and other holiday decorations. Ensure that candles are located well away from combustible materials and never use candles to decorate a Christmas tree.
Never leave lit candles unattended and ensure that they are out of reach of children. Also, keep candles away from drafts or windows. Never burn candles for more than four hours at a time and ensure the wicks are short enough to avoid a high flame. In addition, keep matches, lighters out of reach of children and pets and never leave a child unattended in a room with a candle and do not allow your children or teens to have candles in their bedrooms. Extinguish all candles when leaving the room or going to sleep.

CHRISTMAS TREE SAFETY

Most Christmas fires can be prevented. That's just one of the messages to remember this holiday season. Before buying your Christmas tree, test it for freshness by tapping the base of the tree on the ground. If needles fall or can be pulled off easily the tree is too dry. At home, find a cool spot for your tree, away from heater vents and the fireplace. Keep your tree as fresh as possible by watering it often.

Though they are fireproof, metal or aluminum trees are electrically conductive and cannot be decorated with any electrical products. The metal can cause a short and a fire or simply become hot or deliver a nasty shock. Aluminum trees can be illuminated by a colourful spotlight placed a safe distance from the tree, as set out by manufacturer's directions.

HOLIDAY DECORATIONS

Always decorate with flame-retardant or non-combustible materials. Christmas wrapping and decorations can be highly combustible and should be kept away from heat sources. Use only those lights which have been tested and labelled by an approved testing laboratory (i.e. those with the UL or ULC label). Don't overload electrical circuits or extension cords. Always turn Christmas lights off before leaving home or going to sleep. Avoid using timers on indoor lights. Tree lights could turn on when no one is home and create a potential fire hazard.

When setting up outdoor lighting, turn off the electricity supply outlet first. Keep electrical objects off the ground and clear of metal objects. Use insulated tape to hold lights in place and run cords above ground to keep them out of puddles or snow.

What's New
Jan 09, 2017 2016 Year-in-Review
Dec 20, 2016 Tourism update!
Nov 16, 2016 Fire Chief for a Day
Oct 11, 2016 Afternoon garage fire
Sep 20, 2013 Walk-ability Survey
Sep 20, 2013 Tidemark grant in aid
Sep 21, 2013 ECAP
Sep 21, 2013 George Paul Passing
Sep 21, 2013 MyCity info update
Sep 21, 2013 Seed saving
Oct 08, 2013 Fire Prevention Week
Feb 24, 2014 Roads Update
Sep 24, 2014 Fall Fire Safety
Dec 18, 2014 Fawn Rd. house fire
Feb 06, 2015 Fire crews kept busy
Feb 26, 2015 Mobile home fire
Jun 26, 2015 New art summer camps
Dec 04, 2015 Storm Warning!
Jan 04, 2016 Jan. 1 City Currents
Jan 07, 2016 New Robron Field open!